Age of Black Powder (no, NOT 'Black Power' ):
Gunpowder being made by Splicers for reloads for their guns. Carbon from charcoal, Sulfur was available from the Geothermal vents (actually accumulates in some of the leaky steam heating pipes coming from Hephaestus). Nitre .... comes from bacterial processing of urine (ack!!). Black powder creates alot of smoke and is less stable than the "smokeless powder" modern ammo uses. If Captain Kirk could do it on that planet to fight the Gorn, then Splicers and others can do it in Rapture... (funny -- is about the same timeframe for both...).
Electo-Gel chemical thrower technology :
- Outgrowth of plasma rock cutting technology used by the tunnel boring machines developed in the mid-period of city construction (as much more efficient than blasting) -- was used to tunnel out many of the caverns used for industrial/manufacturing/warehousing and creating many of the long distance transport tunnels. Fracturing rock without cutting surfaces was a major improvement in speed and efficiency. Was weaponized by Ryan in 1958 to help counter the Splicer's advantages.
Player Creativity yet to be exploited... :
- I keep mentioning how much more content the MMORPG would have for our favorite City beneath the sea. Stuff like what you find on - http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...-Audio-Diaries - an example of some of the things players WILL come up with to add to the game (and can then be associated with quests/missions, making them much less one-dimensional -- as most MMORPG quests are).
Rapture --- Now With More Detail ! ! :
One thing I noticed using the cheats (fly & ghost) to move around the thru scenery is the limited detail in many places where the player doesnt get close to. With the MMORPG the terrain will be more accessible (especially with climbability for movement and more freedom in moving 'outside' in the ocean). There will be significantly more details visible to the player (and putting more load on the rendering engine). But then, releasing this game would be several years off, and the average target hardware would have improved quite a bit in that time (and the consoles may also get some new generations).
Those old style canvas and heavy brass diving suits :
You see lots of diving suits (near airlocks) that do not look like the 'Hard Suits' that the depths around Rapture (~600 feet down) would require. (Nitrogen narcosis beyond 100 feet and 300 feet is a normal 'safe' limit for a limited time at depth). But consider if there was a plasmid that alleviated the depth side-effects. Then some of the more cumbersome Hard Suits would not be needed (this would be long AFTER Rapture's initial building phase when plasmids did not yet exist). Of course this will not help the Citizens of "New Rapture" who are ex-Splicers (dont have any plasmids) and will have to rely on the Hard Suits and Subs (as the original builders of Rapture did). Those conventional diving suits would likely have a City Bounty on them to be collected to deny their use to the unfriendly Splicers who could still use them (and for use in the shallow sections of the City - on Mt. Ryan close to the surface).
Alarm Systems :
Put on things (at least to prevent Splicers stealing, since anti-griefing mechanisms in the MMORPG largely prevent easy stealing of items by players). NPC criminals are not unknown. Once a player starts amassing wealth and valuable possessions, it might be wise to invest in a few security measures to dissuade amateur criminals (and maybe light-fingered employees). No doubt there would be 'Constable' missions investigating alarms.
Simple Security Cameras :
(different from ones that call the FlyBots). Remember that Atlas/Fontaine, Ryan, Cohen and Sofia Lamb all watched the player through various parts of the city. Manually controlled, used as a common security system (City Checkpoints, etc...) Some may have genetic scanning capability (like the ones in BS2 at Fontaine Futuristics), though those may be much too valuable - hard to replace/repair technology - to leave them out where they might be easily destroyed/stolen.
Boilerplate (http://www.bigredhair.com/boilerplate/) visits Rapture :
Anthromorphic Robotic Guard - one of McClendon Robotics' less than stellar products - that Splicers just laughed at, destroyed and used as porta-potties. The product was discontinued soon after the test trials were completed. Some found better use in exploring parts of the Abyss after they were bought at a McClendon 'clearance sale'.
"Epstein the Swami" machines will be back in the MMORPG (maybe as a secret agent mission giving device ... Good Morning Mr Phelps ...)
Anton Kinkaide :
The founder of Rapture Metro consolidated the trolley transportation system linking much of the City of Rapture, and the faster Bathysphere System (for those who could afford it like cabs in modern cities) as well as catering to those with private submarines (mostly the rich and elites. Prentis Mill's passenger system component of the Atlantic Express collapsed because it could not compete and was bought out and shut down by Kinkaide (leaving the freight operations still running).
Multi-Player Apartment :
If they ever do the MMORPG, I hope to see the BS2-MP apartment back again (pretty ritzy place). Private bathyshpere station and all. Using what I've come up with before about how the Bathysphere system really would work (for either a private sub or a normal Metro unit) the ritzy apartment building probably has only one external 'private' Cable Station (sphere airlock) for the shared apartments and seperate 'lift' shafts to the many apartments in the complex (dozens). Level 4+ Residence rating ..... (staff access for food deliveries and housekeeping isnt obviously visible -- just as it shouldnt be).
Food Chain :
I wonder what kind of sealife there must be out there, if seaslugs are on the menu for the food chain ????
ADAM enhanced XYZ beasty.... Something small eats the seaslug and then something eats that (and it gets more concentrated as it moves up the food chain) .... Moby Dick was seen in the SOUTH atlantic ...
Hmm, with the Splicers cravings for ADAM its a wonder we never saw them munching on corpses....
Value for ADAM used as ... Med-Kits :
When Tenenbaum first discovered ADAM, all that she knew of it was that it had healed a crippled man's hand. Logically the first thing she and her financial backer Fontaine would have done would be to use the ADAM to create a new medical wonder-drug, sell it to the public and put the profits into further research. This might also explain how Spider Splicer organs function as Med-Kit. The organs are full of ADAM and, with whatever combination of tonics/plasmids make up a Spider Splicer, can be converted to a equivalent of a Med-Kit.
The Med-Kit biological mechanism must be a somewhat different than that employed by plasmids/tonics as they repair damage instead of making genetic changes. Probably are a simpler form of Tenenbaum's X-Cell therapy used in the 'Cure' to repair massive 'Splicer Disease' genetic damage.
The Juggernaut :
- The Armored Trolley, converted (by New Rapture) for patrols along "Splicer Alley" a 'street' section near the city 'Edge' that was recently opened up, but still has frequent Splicer incursions (control points are still being established and the many 'holes' out to the "Wild" have not yet been closed up/sealed).
- Armed with turrets, spotlights, radio-links, a squadron of security flybots and a battering ram plow (in-case of 'obstructions' on the track).
- It can also be deployed at other city locations, if needed to reinforce security operations.
- If Columbia wont have one, then New Rapture will. At least the rails in Rapture wont bend under the weight.
- Eventually when more of the Atlantic Express is working there will probably be a AE rain 'Warwagon' that will fullfil much the same function. --- --- ---